Amalfi stationery is handmade by Cartiera Amatruda in the ancient duchy of Amalfi, Italy, one of the oldest and most renowned papermaking centers in Europe.
The Amatruda paper mill is placed in the ancient Mill Valley of Amalfi, in an enchanting bridged position over the Canneto river. The first floor of the building dates back to the fifteenth century and the paper manufacturing tradition of the Amatruda family dates back to 1380. Traditionally, the papers have been watermarked with cities' coats-of-arms, as well as religious and heraldic symbols. Each deckle-edged sheet is crafted with the utmost care, using many of the traditional methods developed in the Middle Ages.
The Amatruda family, whose name derives from a feminine name of Longobard (Lombards) origin, was resident from the 1198 in the hamlet of Pogerola and, over the course of the fourteenth century, participated actively in the social life of Amalfi. From the parchments of the Bishop's archives of Ravello and Amalfi it appears that in 1483, a representative of the Amatruda family of papermakers: Barnaba De Amatruda, who lived in Scala, exchanged some of his property in Campodonnico with the Monastery of San Cataldo. The oldest Amatruda watermark comes from that era. It shows a circle crowned with three Angevin lilys, with a scroll bearing the writing "Amatrulo".